Play on Words
Develop vocabulary and word understanding. Make new words by changing, removing or adding new letters.
Place letters, one at a time, to create new words.
Player 1 : Think of a 3-letter word and find the letters to write the word on the base plate.
Player 2 : Change the word by removing and replacing a brick with a new letter or by adding an additional brick.
Both players : Continue taking turns until no more words can be created.
How to prepare
1 base plate
All the letter bricks
Place all the bricks in the bowl.
Additional letters can be pre-arranged in alphabetical order on an additional base plate. Could be a warm-up activity!
Encourage collaborative help between players.
Begin the activity with a prompted word.
Change the number of letters in the starting word.
Remove, replace or add more than one letter.
Children will develop these holistic skills
- Discover the function of the written word: Participate in the writing of certain words
- Perform operations on letters and word syllables: remove, add, reverse, locate, substitute
- Develop vocabulary and understanding in reading: Discuss word meanings, link new meanings to those already known
- Develop vocabulary and understanding in reading: Recognize and join together with predictable phrases, discuss favorite words and phrases
- Develop tactile tracking skills: Locate, read an identified number of word or letter on a line (i.e. 4th word on line 2)
- Anticipate potential problems, identify steps for resolution including alternative solutions
Did you know?
A critical requirement is that children must experience agency and be supported rather than directed. This means seeing children as capable and providing opportunities to exert their thinking and actions in a social context where others have the same rights.
Braille activity groups
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: CHARACTERS
Learn braille letters, numbers, mathematic symbols and punctuation signs and know how to read and write them.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: LITERACY
Assemble characters brick by brick and play with words in order to develop the ability to read and write.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: NUMERACY
Assemble characters, play with numbers and develop the ability to do basic mathematics and geometry.