Words and Space
Development of the concept of leaving spaces between words through identification and separation of words.
Player 1 : Write a row of words across the top of the base plate without leaving spaces between the words.
Player 2 : Read the letters.
Player 2 : Identify words from left to right.
Player 2 : Remove each word and place them in a column under the row of bricks.
Both players : Compare and discuss the words.
How to prepare
1 base plate
Give the base plate to Player 1.
Arrange several of each letter in alphabetical order on an additional storage base plate for ease in finding letters. This can be prepared in advance or a warm-up activity for the child.
Ask "What was your strategy to manipulate bricks, displace words and reposition them?"
Suggest mandatory letters.
Specify words must be verbs, nouns, adjectives, relative to current lessons
Change the length/number of rows.
Find the 3rd word, the 2nd letter of the 4th word…
Download & print
Children will develop these holistic skills
- Enrich the lexicon, acquire grammatical and lexical spelling: Develop understanding concepts such as: leaving spaces between words, joining words and joining clauses, learning correct punctuation, including full stops, capital letters, exclamation marks, question marks, commas
- Perform operations on letters and word syllables: remove, add, reverse, locate, substitute
- Develop vocabulary and understanding in reading
- Develop bilateral hand use
- Participate with other students in both leadership and follower roles
Did you know?
Word games are a chance to practice literacy skills.
Children learn more when they are actively engaged as opposed to passive activity, when activities are meaningful to them and when they learn together with others.
Braille activity groups
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: CHARACTERS
Learn braille letters, numbers, mathematic symbols and punctuation signs and know how to read and write them.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: LITERACY
Assemble characters brick by brick and play with words in order to develop the ability to read and write.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: NUMERACY
Assemble characters, play with numbers and develop the ability to do basic mathematics and geometry.