Develop fine motor skills, exploration of the base plate, pattern identification and creativity by decorating a cake.
Imagine the base plate is a giant cake and needs to be decorated.
Imagine all the bricks are chocolate chips.
Place all the bricks on the base plate, wherever you want but do not let them touch each other!
How to prepare
1 base plate
10 random bricks
Place the 10 bricks in the bowl.
Cook a real cake and add decorations to it (send us a piece!).
Ask the child to explore the base plate to make sure the bricks are placed all over the plate.
Encourage bilateral hand exploration; coordination needs to be stimulated and developed for braille reading skills.
Use a smaller base plate that can be held in one hand, if needed.
Change the number of bricks.
Perform the activity with peers.
Download & print
Children will develop these holistic skills
- Reproduce, assemble, organize, link graphic patterns and then create new ones
- Develop motor skills and build body language: Acquire specific techniques to improve efficiency
- Develop tactile exploration: Explore a braille page through touch: search with both hands over a page with a logical tactile strategy – top to bottom and side to side
- Comply with simple directions and limits from adults
- Anticipate potential problems, identify steps for resolution including alternative solutions
Did you know?
Joy is at the heart of play - both enjoying a task for its own sake and the momentary thrill of surprise, insight, or success after overcoming challenges.
Please be reminded of our community guidelines
to comment on this activity
0 comments to this activity
Login to post your comment!
Login to your existing profile or create a new profile in order to leave a comment on this activity.
Pre-braille activity groups
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: MANIPULATION
Discover and get used to the bricks, learn how to handle, assemble and put them on the base plate.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: ORIENTATION
Learn how to position the bricks on the base plate and be aware that their orientation is important.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: CONSTELLATION
Discover the braille cell and how studs are arranged in two columns. Learn how to differentiate the studs.
Quick activity finder