Free the animals!
Explore and discriminate braille characters to save animals from captivity.
Each letter brick represents an animal: L stands for Lobster, all other letters for birds: A for Albatross, E for Eagle, P for Parrot, W for Woodpecker, Y for Yellow canary.
Pick a brick from the bowl
If you have found a lobster, put it back into the water as quickly as possible!
If you have found a bird, help it fly away!
Continue until you have freed all the animals.
How to prepare
8 LEGO Braille Bricks (A, E, 3xL, P, W, Y)
2 containers (bowl, glass, cup…)
Place all the Braille Bricks in one container and fill the other with water.
Ask “Tell me how birds can move?”, “Where does a lobster live?”
Suggest “Think of a story about those animals, why are they together?”
Ask “What is your strategy to free the animals as quickly as possible?”
Change the number of bricks and variety of letters
Vary the category of words: animals, fruits, vegetables…
Add a timer
Make it a collaborative activity
Download & print
Children will develop these holistic skills
- Organize objects in play: Create and engage in creative dramatics and activities (present skits, use puppets)
- Explore and discriminate to get information about the tactual properties of an object (by moving hands or by moving the object)
- Cooperate and share: Organize work in a group to develop a common task and/or collective production and make own skills and knowledge available to others
- Identify the braille characters
- Control motor skills and emotional commitment to succeed in simple actions
Did you know?
The key to the instructional practice is that learners are actively engaged. Educators can share their thoughts and decisions, guide exploratory discussions where children share and justify ideas, or encourage active participation through feedback.
Braille activity groups
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: CHARACTERS
Learn braille letters, numbers, mathematic symbols and punctuation signs and know how to read and write them.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: LITERACY
Assemble characters brick by brick and play with words in order to develop the ability to read and write.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: NUMERACY
Assemble characters, play with numbers and develop the ability to do basic mathematics and geometry.