Egg carton numbers
Write a number in braille by duplicating the pattern of the number brick in a braille cell egg carton.
Pick a number brick from the bowl.
Read the number.
Reproduce this number in the braille cell egg cartons. Don’t forget the first egg carton must be the number sign.
How to prepare
10 number bricks, from “0” to “9”
2 cartons for 6 eggs in portrait position, as a braille cell, e.g. 2 columns of 3 dots
8 plastic eggs or similar size objects
Place the bricks in one bowl and the eggs in the other.
Provide explanation for the use of the first braille cell egg carton to indicate the number sign.
Ask “Why must we place the number sign first?”
Peer play: Player 1 performs the activity and replaces the number brick in the bowl. Player 2 reads the braille cell egg carton and finds the correct number brick in the bowl.
Change the number of bricks.
Use additional cartons and bricks for 2 or 3-digit numbers.
Add non-number bricks.
Children will develop these holistic skills
- Tell, express, analyse: Explain process of doing, playing
- Engage in an activity over time and explore different possibilities, using manipulated objects: Build a construction, copy from a manipulated or observed reference model
- Recognize and discriminate RAISED LINES by touch: Replicate a pattern of objects/shapes in a defined space
- Control motor skills and emotional commitment to succeed in simple actions
- Plan and carry out routine or non-routine activities requiring multiple steps
Did you know?
The key to the instructional practice is that learners are actively engaged. Educators can share their thoughts and decisions, guide exploratory discussions where children share and justify ideas, or encourage active participation through feedback.
Braille activity groups
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: CHARACTERS
Learn braille letters, numbers, mathematic symbols and punctuation signs and know how to read and write them.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: LITERACY
Assemble characters brick by brick and play with words in order to develop the ability to read and write.
LEGO® Braille Bricks activities: NUMERACY
Assemble characters, play with numbers and develop the ability to do basic mathematics and geometry.